Admissions FAQ’s

Admissions FAQ’s


How do I order a transcript?

Official Transcripts may be ordered in one of the following ways:
Through myDixie

  1. Go to
  2. Login to myDixie
  3. Navigate to Student > Student Records > Order Official Transcripts & Enrollment Verifications
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions as you see them

Through the National Student Clearinghouse (if you do not have access to your myDixie account)

  • Visit this link
  • Select Dixie State University and click Submit
  • Follow the on-screen instructions as you see them

Transcripts will not be released until all holds are cleared. Questions? Contact the Registrar’s Office at 435-652-7708, send an e-mail, or use our contact form.

Free, unofficial transcripts are also available through myDixie.


How do I apply for admission?

First, determine which category of student you are:

New Student

A matriculated student who has never attended any college or university, including students who earned credit before graduating from high school. These students are NOT concurrent enrollment or early enrollment students.

Transfer Student

A matriculated student who, after high school graduation, attended another college or university and did not attend Dixie State University.

Returning Student

A matriculated student who previously attended Dixie State University after high school graduation but has not attended in three or more semesters, including students who may have attended another college or university since they were enrolled at Dixie State University.

International Student

A matriculated or non-matriculated student who is not a U.S. citizen and has not received immigrant status from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service.

Non-degree Seeking

A non-matriculated student attending college classes for personal interest, enrichment, or growth.

Home Schooled

Taught at home using other approved curriculum. Certified by Parent/Guardian.

  • Matriculated – A student seeking a certificate or degree who has completed all admission application steps and has been accepted for admission.
  • Non-matriculated – A student not seeking a certificate or degree; a student attending college classes for personal interest, enrichment, or growth; or a student who has not completed the admission process.
  • Concurrent enrollment – A non-matriculated student enrolled in college courses for dual high school and college credit who continues to be enrolled as a high school junior or senior with a high school GPA of 3.0 or above when college enrollment occurs pursuant to a contractual agreement between a school district and Dixie State University.
  • Early enrollment – A matriculated or non-matriculated student who is currently enrolled in high school, is registered through the school district as a home school student, or is a minor officially released from state compulsory school attendance requirements. These students are NOT concurrent enrollment students.

See our admissions policy for additional definitions.

For New Students:

  • Completed application
  • $35.00 non-refundable fee
  • Official high school transcripts or GED scores
  • Test results (ACT, SAT, CPT)
  • If you are a transfer student, we need official college transcripts for all schools attended. If transferring more than 24 credits, however, then high school transcripts/test scores are not required. Submitting test scores may still be helpful, though, depending on which classes you are enrolling in for prerequisite checking.

To see requirements for the additional student types, refer to the Admissions Summary Sheet.


How will my credits transfer to Dixie?

There is a transfer credit equivalency lookup available. Simply find your institution in the list and submit to see how your credits will transfer.


Why can’t I login to online student services?

The most common reasons why students cannot login include:

  • You have not been fully admitted.
  • You are using an incorrect login or PIN number. Call 652-7708 to retrieve your login credentials.
  • You have entered the incorrect PIN number more than three times and have been locked out.
  • Your web browser is not accepting cookies (see google’s article: How to Enable Cookies).

You can use your banner student number or your social security number (without slashes or dashes) for your user ID.


Is my admissions application complete?

You can find out by calling the admissions office at 435-652-7777, or you can email us at


How do I apply for residency?

Complete the Application for Resident Classification and deliver it to us via one of the following methods:

  • In person: at the Registrar’s Office (1st Floor, Holland Centennial Commons)
  • Fax: 435-879-4005
  • Mail: DSU Registrar’s Office, 225 S 700 E, St. George, UT 84770

For a complete description of the residency requirements, go here


Where do I find information about dates and deadlines?

Please refer to the academic calendar.


Why were my classes dropped?

In addition to dropping courses yourself, you can also be dropped for the following reasons:

  • You do not pay your tuition before the deadline.
  • You do not attend the first class and have not notified your instructor. Your instructor then has the prerogative of dropping you from his/her class.
  • You do not meet the prerequisite for the class; hence, the corresponding department has discovered this and dropped you.


Why can’t I get into the class I’m trying to register for?

The primary reasons you cannot register for class(es) include:

  • The course prerequisites have not been met (minimum test scores, required prior coursework, instructor permission, etc). If you have taken the prerequisite course, then your transfer work may not yet be posted on the system. Contact the advisement office at 435-652-7690 to verify this or contact transcript evaluation at 435-652-7705.
  • Course co-requisites have not been met (i.e. must also register for LIB-1010).
  • You have a registration hold (have not attended orientation, owe money, etc.)


What are the Testing Center hours?

You can find this information on the Testing Center website.


Where can I get a class schedule or course catalog?

We no longer print the class schedule or catalog. They are only available online.

  • Class Schedule
  • College Catalog


How can I schedule a campus tour? Get an Information Packet?

You can schedule a campus tour online, simply click here. For an information packet call 435-652-7590.


Can my parents see my grades?

Due to the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA), your parents are not entitled to this information unless they verify that you are still their dependent for tax purposes, or you give them permission. To accomplish this, fill out the Student Information Release form and submit it to the Registrar’s Office via one of the following methods:

  • Fax: 435-879-4005
  • Mail: DSU Registrar’s Office, 225 S 700 E, St. George, UT 84770


How do I apply for a scholarship?

When you apply for admission, you are automatically considered for an academic scholarship based on your high school GPA and ACT (or other) test scores. The difficulty of your course work is also taken into consideration. To apply for talent scholarships go to the Financial Aid website.